B.Des In Industrial Design
Department of Design
Nirma University, Ahmedabad
Admission Rules, Selection Process, Weightage of different components for preparation of merit for the B.Des. Programme
Number of Seats Available: 80
Bachelor of Design (Communication Design): 40 seats
Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design): 40 seats
Upto fifteen percent of intake is allocated for admission to NRI/NRI sponsored candidates. Over and above the Intake of 80, 15% (Supernumerary) seats are also allocated for admissions to Persons of Indian Origin, Foreign Nationals and Children of Indian Workers of Gulf Countries/South East Asia.
1. The candidates seeking admission in the 1st year of Degree Programme leading to Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) shall have passed the HSC examination (10+2) or any other recognized examination from any stream (Science, Commerce and Arts & Humanities) considered as equivalent by Nirma University, in the respective Academic Year of admission or previous Academic Year from the year of admission.
2. The candidates holding 10+3 year Diploma approved by State Board of Technical Education or any other board/university as considered equivalent by Nirma University, in the respective Academic Year of admission or previous Academic Year from the year of admission.
Application and Entrance Test (Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design-UCEED-2019)
Applicants are required to appear for the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design [UCEED 2019] conducted by Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT). The UCEED examination conducted at different centres all over the country on 19th January 2019 [refer UCEED website for further details at http://www.uceed.iitb.ac.in/index.html . Last date for online registration for UCEED-2019 is 09.11.2018 and 16.11.2018 with late fees.
The candidates aspiring for admissions at the Department of Design, Nirma University are required to apply to the Department separately. The Department will receive the test scores from IIT, Bombay for those candidates applied to the B.Des. Programme at Department of Design,
NRI sponsored candidates will be considered for admission only on the basis of UCEED-2019 scores.
Nirma Application Form
Online Application Form:
All communications with regard to admission will be done online or through electronic mails, so the candidates are advised to keep track of the online information at our website and check emails provided in application form.
(Note: Candidates interested to apply for both the categories i.e. general as well NRI sponsored are required to submit separate application form for both the categories.)
Applicants should complete the online application form with non-refundable admission processing fee of Rs. 2000/-. The payment should be made online by credit card/debit card/net banking.
Candidates applying under categories such NRI/NRI Sponsored should make non-refundable admission processing fee of Rs. 3000/-
Online Application for General Category [Apply Now]
Click here to Apply Online For NRI/NRI sponsored Category [Apply Now]
Mode of Payment:
The payment should be made online by credit card/debit card/net banking.
Last Date to Apply:
• The last date to apply for General Category and NRI/NRI sponsored is March 31, 2019.
All communications, with regard to admission, should be directed to:
Department of Design
Ahmedabad - 382 481 (Gujarat) INDIA
Phone: 079-30642325, 079-30642000, +91-2717-241911-15
Toll Free Helpline for Admissions: 1800 233 6148
Online Application forms for admission to Nirma University commence from 21.10.2018
Last date for submitting online Application forms 31.03.2019
Last date for online registration for UCEED -2019 09.11.2019
Situation Test and Personal Interview 22.04.2019 to 26.04.2019
Declaration of merit list 01.05.2019
Candidates shortlisted on the basis of their performance in UCEED 2019 examination will be called for Situation Test and Personal Interview. The Situation Test and Personal Interview will be conducted at Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
The candidates will be finally selected for admission based on the candidates' performance in the UCEED, Situation Test and Personal Interview.
The following weightage will be given for each component of the selection criteria and composite scores will be computed based on the following selection criteria.
• Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination: 40%
• Situation Test: 40%
• Personal Interview: 20%
Situation Test and Personal Interview:
1. The Situation Test will evaluate the design aptitude of applicants with the objective of measuring their skills in 2D and 3D visualization, creativity, handling of materials and dexterity.
2. Personal Interview of candidates will evaluate general awareness, aptitudes and interests, quality of responses to social and cultural issues etc. Candidates ability to articulate their thoughts through creative work done by the student (such as drawings, paintings, photographs, films/videos made by the student, craft work, project work, models, written work such as articles, stories, essays, poems, etc.) may be shown to the Interview panel. Please limit your portfolio to a maximum of 20 works in total. *Additionally, the applicant shall present the necessary original documents for verification. (Do keep two sets of photocopies of original documents).
3. NRI students who have passed their qualifying examination from outside India will be exempted from giving the entrance test. Their evaluation for merit will be based on the minimum qualifying marks as per Nirma University rules of higher secondary education or equivalent exam of the country of residence, skype interview, two letters of recommendation from senior school teachers and portfolio shared through email.
4. The admission in PIO/FN/CIWGC-SEA category alongwith its criteria and application form be announced separately by the International Relation office, Nirma University on Nirma University website.
* NOTE: Applicants not present on the scheduled date and time of the Situation test and /or for the Personal interview will forfeit their chance for admission to the programme.
Provisional Admission Offer:
Successful candidates will be made an offer of provisional admission to join the Department of Design at Nirma University subject to fulfil minimum eligibility criteria. Candidates will be informed through e-mails provided in the online application form. Applicants are therefore advised to check the updates on the website and their respective e-mail ids at regular intervals. The Institute will not be responsible for non-receipt or delay of any communication which is sent to the candidate’s mailing address and E-mail Id provided in the Admission Application form.
Details regarding payment of fees at the time of admission will be included in the provisional admission offer letter. Provisional Offer of admission will be valid only for the particular programme opted by the candidate in the given academic session.
The following documents are to be produced at time of personal interview: -
• S.S.C. Examination (Std. X) Mark-sheet
• H.S.C. Examination (Std. XII) Mark-sheet
• School Leaving Certificate or Transfer Certificate
• Diploma Examination Mark-sheet, if applicable
• Latest Passport Size Photograph of the applicants
Additional Documents to be submitted by NRI/NRI Sponsored Category applicants:
Proof of Residence of Sponsor (applicable to NRI Sponsored applicant)
• Passport of self and his/her mother and / or father (applicable to NRI applicant)
• Affidavit from Sponsoring person
• Affidavit from Sponsoring person
• Equivalence Certificate from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi (if an applicant has passed qualifying examination from outside India)
• Passport of Sponsoring person (having signature of Sponsor) (applicable to NRI Sponsored applicant)
• Any other relevant certificate
No. Particular General NRI
1. FEE (Per Annum) Rs. 288900/- US$ 7000/-
2. OTHER FEES
a. University Enrollment (One Time) Rs. 1000/- Rs. 1000/-
b. UNIVERSITY FEES - UG (SEM. END EXAM, MID SEM. EXAM+INITIAL REGI., SEME.GRADE REPORT) (Per Annum) Rs. 11000/- Rs. 11000/-
c. Foundation, Orientation, Welcome Kit (One Time) Rs. 2000/- Rs. 2000/-
d. Student Activities Fees(Per Annum) Rs. 10000/- Rs. 10000/-
Total Other Fees (a+b+c+d) Rs. 24000/- Rs. 24000/-
Other Deposit (Refundable) Rs. 1500/- Rs. 1500/-
Library Deposit (Refundable) Rs. 5500/- Rs. 5500/-
Total Deposit Rs. 7000/- Rs. 7000/-